Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sure, Fat Acceptance is great and all, but what about my...


Sure, Fat Acceptance is great and all, but what about my double chin? It is so incredibly socially unacceptable! Just look at the images of fat women on TV (when there are any); none of the acceptable fat people, meaning fat people who are more than just caricatures, have double chins. When people in my family are having their picture taken, they have to raise their head or stick out their chin to make sure the double chin isn't immortalized in pixels. A discussion on whether someone is fat or not can be ended by a simple "She has a double chin!" Yup, with a double chin there's just no denying it, you're fat.* And since fat equals bad, I with my double chin equal bad. On a good day, my big hips make me feel womanly, my big ass makes me feel sexy, my large thighs are there to carry me around and I appreciate them for it, my big boobs make me feel like there's not a man who could resist me, my fat toes are the cutest things ever, my stomach with it's strech marks feel great to the touch, and my back rolls remind me "I'm curvy, yay!", but neutral, it seems, is the best I can feel about my double chin. So naturally, when I first discovered Fat Acceptance, my feelings toward my double chin was the first thing I wanted to change. *rolls eyes at herself* Chock it up to me liking a challenge. And I have made some progress; my feelings toward my double chin used to be all bad all the time, and now, as I just said, I can manage a 'neutral'. That's doesn't feel good enough, though. I want to be able to love all of myself, but the honest to god truth is that I just don't find double chins attractive.

I think I have been looking at this from the wrong perpective, then. My double chin is a part of me, and I am worthy of both acceptance and love. I mean, I've never thought of vaginas as particularly attractive looking, but there it still is, right where it's always been, and that's never bothered me in any way. I guess that is me: Lots of blonde curly hair. Nice smile. Vagina. Double chin. 100% awesome.;=)
I don't expect there to be love at first sight the next time I see my double chin in a mirror, but hopefully this new perspective will help me take the next step. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Have you guys ever thought someting like that? "Sure, Fat Acceptance is great and all, but what about my..." How did your sentence end? Care to share?


*I'm referring to actual fat people with double chins here, not skinny people with them.

2 comments:

Weesha said...

my arms!! I'm not the biggest fan of my double chin but when I don't have it, it means I'm thinner and my face is longer so meh, I think double chins are cute now.

Veronica said...

That is a point. My face has been round for such a long time now that when I lost a little weight a while back and my face got thinner/narrower, I thought it looked kinda weird.
I think my feelings toward my arms are a little unusual, I just can't get over how comfy and cushy they feel, it's like carrying around a pillow ready for use if I should get tired. Resting my head on them is just so *soft* and pleasant.